4,6 mln pound for improvement Waver Viaduct M56 UK
United Kingdom – A £4.6 million improvement scheme on the Weaver Viaduct on the M56 near Frodsham, Cheshire will bring the structure up to modern standards.
The work involves replacing the parapet rails on either side of the viaduct and starts on Friday 21 April 2006 and will continue until November 2006.
Highways Agency project manager Phil Hardy-Bishop said: "This is essential work to ensure the motorway network is kept up-to-date. The work has been carefully planned to keep delays to a minimum, but delays are likely especially during peak periods and road users should allow extra time for their journeys.
"This advice applies especially to drivers heading to either Manchester nternational or Liverpool John Lennon airports or heading to time sensitive events such as the theatre or football matches.
"There will be narrow lanes throughout the project with a temporary 40 mph speed limit enforced by speed cameras. Road users are reminded that this speed limit is in force for their own safety and for the safety of road workers.
"There will be overnight slip road and lane closures on the motorway and local road network throughout the projects, but advance warning will be given and diversions clearly signed"
The first slip road closure will be overnight between 21.00 and 05.00 on Friday 21 April, Saturday 22 April and Sunday 23 April 2006.
The A557 underneath the motorway will also be closed on occasions overnight in agreement with the local authority. These closures will take place at different times to the slip road closures to avoid additional disruption.
- 1. The Highways Agency is an executive agency of the Department for Transport. It manages, maintains and improves England’s motorways and trunk roads on behalf of the Secretary of State.
- 2. Highways Agency traffic information website is at www.highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo
- 3. For real-time traffic information, the Highways Agency 24-hour voice activated telephone service is on 08700 660 115. (Calls from BT landlines to 0870 numbers will cost no more than 8p per minute; mobile calls usually cost more).
- 4. For general information about the Highways Agency and its work, visit the Highways Agency website www.highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo or telephone the Highways Agency information line on 08457 50 40 30. (Calls from BT landlines to 0845 numbers will cost no more than 4p per minute; mobile calls usually cost more.)
Safe driving at roadworks
During 2005, five workers were killed and 12 seriously injured in the course of their work on Highways Agency roads. This was the worst year since 1999. For the safety of all road users and roadworkers, drivers approaching roadworks are advised to:
- Keep within the speed limit – it is there for your safety.
- Get into the correct lane in good time – don’t keep switching.
- Concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks.
- Be alert for works’ traffic leaving or entering roadworks.
* Keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front.
- Observe all signs – they are there to help you.