Parsons Brinckerhoff awarded NJ rail yard order
PB TO MANAGE MORRISVILLE RAIL YARD CONSTRUCTION FOR NJ TRANSIT
New York, United States of America – New Jersey Transit has awarded a contract to Parsons Brinckerhoff (PB) for
construction management services to oversee expansion of the Morrisville Rail Yard overnight storage
and light maintenance facility.
As completed in 2004, the Morrisville Rail Yard currently accommodates storage for 12 passenger trains
for a total of 140 units. It includes a 1000-foot train service and inspection track, a 100-foot service and
inspection area, two grade crossings, 37,200 feet of running track and catenary, and a 7,400-square foot
crew quarters facility.
The $97 million second phase of the project involves a construction contract that will provide storage for
an additional 130 rail commuter cars as well as service and inspection facilities and wheel truing
capabilities at the west end of the New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor service area. The construction
contract will provide the capacity to improve and consolidate storage and running repair functions now
served at two different locations, and will provide adequate capacity to accommodate immediate and
long-term service growth on New Jersey Transit’s Northeast Corridor and Atlantic City lines.
Key elements of the yard expansion include:
- Re-development of the southern half of a 30-acre former CONRAIL classification yard.
- Construction of a 1,200-foot-long, two-track service and inspection (S&I) facility.
- Construction of a 400-foot-long wheel truing facility together with wheel truing equipment and car progression system.
- Construction of environmentally controlled office facilities.
- Construction of nine electrified storage tracks together with one set-off track and one run-around track.
- Installation of underground utilities and modifications to the existing storm water management system.
As the owner’s representative, PB is responsible for complete construction management services,
including contract administration, inspection of the contract work and coordination of Amtrak, Conrail and
New Jersey Transit participation to complete the expansion, which is scheduled to be completed in mid
Parsons Brinckerhoff provides strategic consulting, program management, construction management,
construction engineering and inspection, and specialized construction consulting services for large-scale
infrastructure projects and facilities. Parsons Brinckerhoff employs 10,000 professionals and support staff
in more than 150 offices worldwide.