Paris metro: 45 MF2000 trainsets for line 2
Saint Ouen Cedex, France – A consortium comprising ALSTOM Transport, Bombardier Transport and AREVA TA will deliver 45 MF2000 metro trainsets to the RATP for use on Line 2 of the Paris metro, starting in July 2007.
The RATP, Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens, has notified the consortium comprising ALSTOM Transport, Bombardier Transport and AREVA TA, of an order worth €193.7 million, for the supply of 45 MF2000 metro trainsets for Line 2 of the Paris metro.
It is the first option of a total order of 161 MF2000 metro trainsets, signed by the RATP and the consortium in July 2001. The initial contract related to the design, development and construction of a prototype train, for which AREVA TA was the prime contractor.
The consortium delivered the prototype in January 2006. It is currently being tested on Lines 2 and 5. TDelivery of Line 2’s 45 trainsets is scheduled between July 2007 and December 2009.
The construction of the MF2000 is a part of the RATP’s rolling stock renewal policy. The new trains will progressively replace the MF67 trainsets, which entered into service between 1967 and 1978, and will operate on Lines 2 (Porte Dauphine-Nation), 5 (Place d’Italie-Bobigny) and 9 (Pont de Sèvres-Mairie de Montreuil).
Increased passenger comfort and security
This order confirms the RATP’s decision to use two totally new technologies on the Paris metro: video-surveillance and air-conditioning.
- Video-surveillance: from his cab, the driver will be able to visualise the slightest anomaly thanks to cameras in the passenger cars, and call in support if necessary.
- Air-conditioning: the cool air ventilation system is characterised by a high rate of renewed air and the maintenance of a constant temperature, offering passengers a real sensation of coolness. It is perfectly adapted to the metro environment (frequent door opening, high passenger density) and makes use of compact equipment with low power consumption.
Project management: distribution of tasks
- ALSTOM Transport is responsible for the overall project management , piloted through its Centre of Excellence for metros in Valenciennes-Petite Forêt. It will supply the various components and sub-assemblies for energy production, traction-braking systems, as well as comfort IT systems, produced in Canada (Montreal) and France (Tarbes, Ornans and Villeurbanne plants). ALSTOM Transport will integrate these components into the train at its Valenciennes site, along with the components provided by the other consortium members and their suppliers. Finally, it will equip the cars, assemble the train and conduct testing before delivery to the RATP. In total, ALSTOM’s share of the contract is worth €118.8 million.
- Bombardier Transport France, located in Crespin in the Valenciennes region, will supply driver cabs, bogies and painted carbodies. Bombardier has a share of €64 million.
- AREVA TA, a subsidiary of AREVA, will supply the IT Security System, the Operating Parameter Recorders, the Track/Train Data Transmission Systems, and will take part in the acoustic and vibration studies.